Daily Programming Thread

Stiff

raawr :3
Developer
Low rep power
Learning a 40 year old scripting language so you can write instructions to manipulate multiple buffers so you can edit more than one plaintext document at a time without losing track of which file is open in which buffer... do emacscels really? :erm:

• This
Reactions: PAS

bemis

Low rep power
Learning a 40 year old scripting language so you can write instructions to manipulate multiple buffers so you can edit more than one plaintext document at a time without losing track of which file is open in which buffer... do emacscels really? :erm:
One way to think about it would be to say that Emacs isn't a text editor, it's a framework for creating the kind of environment you need for the domain you're in. Thats one of the reasons that you see so many different things being implemented in it, and why you see some people perhaps take the idea too far (like writing an entire init system in it). I write a lot of Clojure, and lisp dialects are all generally the same, so there isn't much of a logical leap for me to switch between them. It's definitely not for everyone though. If i'm working with junior developers, or even just somebody coming from an enterprise background, I'll use IntelliJ or VSCode so they feel comfortable.

The Lisp Curse is certainly real, but when you reach a level where you're more prolific without a team, I can't think of any other language that lets you be as productive.

Stiff

raawr :3
Developer
Low rep power
One way to think about it would be to say that Emacs isn't a text editor, it's a framework for creating the kind of environment you need for the domain you're in. Thats one of the reasons that you see so many different things being implemented in it, and why you see some people perhaps take the idea too far (like writing an entire init system in it). I write a lot of Clojure, and lisp dialects are all generally the same, so there isn't much of a logical leap for me to switch between them. It's definitely not for everyone though. If i'm working with junior developers, or even just somebody coming from an enterprise background, I'll use IntelliJ or VSCode so they feel comfortable.

The Lisp Curse is certainly real, but when you reach a level where you're more prolific without a team, I can't think of any other language that lets you be as productive.
I was jk I've used emacs with org-mode and it certainly is an elevated way of interfacing with THE MACHINE, I just wouldn't recommend it unless it's as you say (more prolific without a team). It's a personal and esoteric experience that should be sealed from the profane for their own good :meditate:

bemis

Low rep power
I was jk I've used emacs with org-mode and it certainly is an elevated way of interfacing with THE MACHINE, I just wouldn't recommend it unless it's as you say (more prolific without a team). It's a personal and esoteric experience that should be sealed from the profane for their own good :meditate:
Man, org-mode is maybe one of the greatest things ever created. That is definitely one of those things you can easily go overboard on. At one point I had all of my notes in org-roam, multiple calendars synced into the agenda with khalel, workflows for creating items from emails with mu4e, a technical blog. I'm even using the "literate config" approach and my emacs init files are all in org with babel, so that it renders as the README page in source control.