Video game general

Gornostay

Weasel
Low rep power
should i play pathologic or pathologic 2 :erm:
Pathologic 2.

By its own constant admission Pathologic 2 is a restaging of the first game. It wants you to think of it as equivalent to something like a stage production inside your computer. 2 is the more elaborate production of 1, with a higher budget, more experience, lessons learned, and so on. They do play off of things they did the first time. But not to the point you'll be alienated if you didn't play it. If you want to appreciate the difference you could play Pathologic 1 for like an hour until you really feel like you're suffering, then start 2 and appreciate all the comments about how rough the last show was.

Of course you're meant to be suffering even in an ideal production, because that's what Pathologic is. But in 2 it feels more like an expressive work about stress and fighting a hostile world, and less like feeling anxious because you're watching a show in some weird dingy place that feels like a fire hazard.

Short answer is play Pathologic 2.

DonDonPatch

STADYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!
Staff member
High rep power
Pathologic 2.

By its own constant admission Pathologic 2 is a restaging of the first game. It wants you to think of it as equivalent to something like a stage production inside your computer. 2 is the more elaborate production of 1, with a higher budget, more experience, lessons learned, and so on. They do play off of things they did the first time. But not to the point you'll be alienated if you didn't play it. If you want to appreciate the difference you could play Pathologic 1 for like an hour until you really feel like you're suffering, then start 2 and appreciate all the comments about how rough the last show was.

Of course you're meant to be suffering even in an ideal production, because that's what Pathologic is. But in 2 it feels more like an expressive work about stress and fighting a hostile world, and less like feeling anxious because you're watching a show in some weird dingy place that feels like a fire hazard.

Short answer is play Pathologic 2.
i know everyone says to play pathologic 2 because it's more accessible, but pathologic seems... deeper
mostly with regard to the plot and conclusion

can u really get the full experience only playing as haruspex? if i am going to play pathologic, i'm willing to torture myself

DonDonPatch

STADYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!
Staff member
High rep power
i guess it probably makes more sense to play 2 and then go back and play 1 if i enjoyed it :erm:

Gornostay

Weasel
Low rep power
i know everyone says to play pathologic 2 because it's more accessible, but pathologic seems... deeper
mostly with regard to the plot and conclusion

can u really get the full experience only playing as haruspex? if i am going to play pathologic, i'm willing to torture myself
You get an experience playing Haruspex. You can always go back to 1 and play Bachelor and Changeling afterwards.