Video game general

DonVanVlietPatchDaiOuJou

... Groyper.
Staff member
High rep power

ZapparoniWorks™

Renowned bug rancher.
Low rep power
Do any of you guys play Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup?
The game has fallen off so hard since .14 or so when TRANNY DEVS AAAAARGH took over.
Every single patch since then has read like a graveyard, with XYZ feature removed and nothing added.
They renamed Ogres to Onis and changed Centaurs to Elephant-men.
They removed the food mechanic entirely.
I cant even remember all the shit they cut FOR NO REASON, honestly.
WHY NIGGA?

mqdefault.jpg

Nemkris

Low rep power
Only RPG and Visual novel games should focus on stories. Fromsoft games are good because the story is so non-intrusive. If some bitch starts talking to me in a platformer and I have to stop playing I just quit the game.

DonVanVlietPatchDaiOuJou

... Groyper.
Staff member
High rep power
just played the first 2 chapters of the silver case (1999). i really don't like the little interactivity minigames. it just feels like pointless tedium or filler to me. if these segments start requiring me to complete more complex tasks, then it'll basically become a puzzle game. i don't want to play a puzzle game.

imagine if they had used their budget to hire voice actors instead.

DonVanVlietPatchDaiOuJou

... Groyper.
Staff member
High rep power
just completed another world in 1 sitting. i could definitely see myself really getting into this as a child because it probably would've taken me a very long time to figure out how to beat. good sense of mystery and intrigue. some of the scenes were very cool, especially towards the end.

i didn't like how specific and arbitrary some of the "solutions" were -- like when you needed to run and hold right (or left, depending on the scene) and magically the lasers wouldn't hit you, or when i needed to get arbitrarily close to the disarmed enemy with his hands up before shooting him in order to trigger a door closing for later (?). it was pretty buggy and the AI was bad. the sound design wasn't great. "cinematic platformer" is not a genre i'm a fan of. the ending was cheesy and silly -- i thought i read some youtube comments saying it was emotional or something. it was goofy. but also kind of charming, i guess.

i liked how short the game was. i think it would've become increasingly annoying if it went on for much longer.
the simplicity of the controls is a neutral thing to me. tim rogers really likes that aspect.

overall, a pleasant and quaint game with a handful of frustrating moments that i would nonetheless strongly recommend to a 10-year-old.
3/5

DonVanVlietPatchDaiOuJou

... Groyper.
Staff member
High rep power
i really want the silver case to be good because i like crime/cop mysteries with supernatural elements, like cure
but the dialogue is awkward and kinda cringe so far... especially when people are supposed to sound "crazy" :coffee:

Gornostay

Weasel
Low rep power
Only RPG and Visual novel games should focus on stories. Fromsoft games are good because the story is so non-intrusive. If some bitch starts talking to me in a platformer and I have to stop playing I just quit the game.
That's the opposite of how I engage with games. If I find myself playing a pure game experience with no further point or context I'm going to stop.

Nemkris

Low rep power
That's the opposite of how I engage with games. If I find myself playing a pure game experience with no further point or context I'm going to stop.
I have ears so I don't see why they would ever need to stop the gameplay flow for it. Maybe a few cutscenes. I actually know why it's a lazy way of padding game length.